Sunny Side Up

August 23, 2017 at 4:14 am (Uncategorized)

Well, the Great American Eclipse of 2017 is over, and I hope everyone’s eyeballs lived to peep another day. We didn’t have totality here in Batsville. I did have several friends who traveled to parts south to see the total eclipse (cue theĀ Bonnie Tyler, and just when you thought you’d ejected that particular earworm!), and others on Facebook who said that seeing the Full Monty, so to speak, was really spectacular, and an item to put on your bucket list. (Argentina 2019! Who’s with me!)

Here in Milwaukee, we knew we would have about 84% coverage. Just 16% or so of the sun would be visible. I wondered what that was going to look like. 16% isn’t very much. If your chances are 16%, you don’t have good chances. A 16% grade would be a disaster for most people. If, say, your spouse eats 84% of the ice cream, leaving you only 16%, you might be pretty irritated. All of which is to say that with 84% of the sun obscured by the moon, and only 16% visible, I was sure it would get noticeably dark outside. Like, at the very least, we’d be able to tell that there was an eclipse going on.

As it turned out, I had to work on Monday, and I didn’t have eclipse glasses, and it was overcast, and frankly Eclipse 2017 was shaping up to be kind of a disappointment, but then a wonderful colleague had the foresight (ha!) to bring eclipse glasses, and we were able to sneak off outside, and miraculously the clouds parted just enough to see. Several of us took turns looking through the glasses (wow, have things come a long way since the pinhole viewer – good job, science!) up at the sky, at the SUN, and it was beautiful, and amazing, and so super cool.

And I’ve been mulling over this thought since Monday. Plenty of people up here thought the eclipse was a big yawn, or really, didn’t even notice it was happening. And yes, it was cloudy, and yes, most people aren’t capital N nerds like me, but I don’t think either reason is really why. I think it’s because just 16% of the sun is so powerful, it still felt like a regular day. Even though 84% to 16% are terrible odds, that 16% is still enough to win.

Did you get that? Light wins. Bet on light. Be on light’s side. Darkness doesn’t stand a chance, no matter how good it looks on paper.

Light wins! And just a little bit is all you need. If you have any light at all, it’s not actually dark anymore. So even when it seems dark, even when the odds seem stacked against you, remember that all you need is just a little light. Shine on, friends. Shine on.

Advertisements

Permalink Leave a Comment